Fees and Funding
All full-time DeGroote PhD students are guaranteed funding for the first four years of study. Currently, each full-time student receives a minimum of $20,000 per year. The vast majority of our students receive more.
Scholarships, teaching assistant positions, and research assistant positions provide this funding. Students are encouraged to increase their income by seeking out research assistant positions with faculty members during the summer term as well. In the later years of the program, students can also apply for sessional lecturing positions.
Students are also strongly encouraged to apply to all internal and external scholarship competitions. Many of our students have been awarded generous government scholarships, including:
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Tuition fees for the 2022/23 academic year:
- Full-time Canadian and international students: $2,102.40 per term or $6,307.20 per year.
Students in our program can also take advantage of the following:
- $4,000 for travel expenses related to attending conferences (e.g. presenting papers, job market, etc.) provided by the Dean’s Office over the duration of the program.
- $1,000 for expenses arising from developing and writing a thesis (e.g. data collection, specialized software, survey compensation for participants, etc.) over the duration of the program.
- A dedicated study space (cubicle) in a secure room with their PhD colleagues.
- A computer, paid for by the department to use for the duration of the program.
- Required software for course work paid for by the department.